Friday 31 December 2010

Matt Smith makes a Child's Dream Come True

A YOUNG boy from Northampton who spent last Christmas in hospital fighting cancer has had his dream of meeting Doctor Who come true, thanks to the Chronicle & Echo and the star of the hit show.

Alfe Game was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma when he was just five and spent Christmas 2009 at Northampton General Hospital.
The seven-year-old, from Duston, went into remission from the illness in July and has since dedicated hours of his time to helping children in a similar position to him, including collecting toys for presents for children spending Christmas at NGH and designing Christmas cards to be sold to fund presents for two friends who have relapsed with leukaemia.
To say ‘thank you’ to Alfe for his hard work in the community, the Chron arranged for Doctor Who fan Alfe to have a surprise Christmas Eve visit from the 11th Doctor himself, Northampton-born Matt Smith.
After recovering from the initial excitement of seeing the former Northampton School for Boys pupil on his doorstep, Alfe and the Time Lord sat down to discuss such urgent matters as their favourite episode, their favourite Doctor Who monster and what they wanted for Christmas.
 
Wearing his prized Doctor Who watch and Dalek t-shirt, Alfe then showed Matt his collection of Doctor Who memorabilia, including a life-sized cardboard cut-out of him with assistant Amy Pond, played by Karen Gillan, before the pair exchanged Christmas presents.
Alfe said: “Meeting Doctor Who was fantastic. When I heard I was going to meet him I was so excited I was crying inside and when I saw him on my doorstep I was so happy. I’ve got what I wanted for Christmas. This has been the best Christmas yet.
“It was my dream to meet Doctor Who and though the fact it’s Christmas Day tomorrow is very exciting it won’t be able to match today.”
Speaking to the Chronicle & Echo after his visit Matt Smith said: “My mum mentioned this to me and as I was going to be around in Northampton I thought why not? It was my pleasure to do it. I’m really pleased we came. Alfe was lovely and they’re such a nice family.
“We talked a lot about Doctor Who and what he wanted for Christmas, and then he showed me his presents, but we were just hanging out really.
“It’s nice to see how inspired children are by Doctor Who and how much of a difference it can make sometimes, when you hear about them meeting in hospital, talking about it and bonding over it.
“This has been a wonderful experience.”
Shared from http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/community/doctor_who_star_makes_christmas_dream_come_true_for_inspirational_alfe_1_2216349

0 comments:

Post a Comment